Not much of my zone work got done last week. This is especially annoying as the Dining Room is one of our worst zones at the moment.
It was just one of those weeks where things seemed to go wrong. It was also a very high anxiety week.
The death of Robin Williams last week really affected me. It seems silly to say that as I didn’t know him personally. But his movies were a big part of my life and I was always a huge fan. To know that the world has now lost his amazing talent is almost too sad to contemplate. Plus, with my recent struggles with mental health, the surrounding his death just hit a bit too close to home.
I tried to be kind to myself, knowing how much this would affect me, but I hit quite a low point for most of the week.
Then to compound that, our washing machine decided it no longer wanted to work. We had about 4 full loads of washing to be done and Chloe was wearing cloth nappies. I searched for our warranty info, discovered it was at least 1yr out of warranty but we have a 10yr warranty on the motor. So I called, hoping at least that it may be a problem with the motor. Of course, they couldn’t get a technician to come out to even look at it until the next Monday, almost a week later. So a laundry full of washing and a week without a washing machine. Not stressful at all! And then to make matters worse Chloe spilt my entire cup of coffee over the couch the next day.
Thankfully the in-laws offered the use of their washing machine so I spent Thursday at their house, after dropping Lily at school and then until I had to pick her up. We managed to get the important stuff washed and dried and then another two loads washed but not dried. I left the rest there which my mother-in-law kindly washed and dried over the weekend and I hung the wet washing at home. I even took some down to my parents’ to hang.
So between all of these stressors I didn’t really focus on getting anything more than the basic housework done. Plus, I spent from Friday evening to late Sunday at my parents’ house for my niece’s birthday.
Thankfully the washing machine machine repairman was able to come on Monday, identified the problem and the parts to fix it on the spot. Unfortunately it cost me $350 for him to do that, something we don’t need, especially has every dollar needs to be allocated at the moment. But at least we have a working washing machine and a bit less stress.
I was going to re-do the Dining Room this week but I don’t want the extra stress and expectations. So I’m moving into the kitchen.
I’m hoping to get most of it done as a by-product of doing other things. We are going on holiday next week so we will need to leave the fridge fairly empty – I can clean it out at the same time. There is bench-full of dishes to be washed at the moment – I’ll give the benches a good clean after I do those. We’ll probably be using the microwave to cook leftovers or defrost meat a bit so I’ll make sure to clean it out after doing one of those.
Basically, I don’t want to put the expectation on me of having to spend a few hours cleaning the kitchen but instead focus on the individual tasks and finding incidental times to do them.