We noticed a few months ago that chestnuts had appeared on the list of products for our Andy & Ted fruit and veg box. I had been trying to find different ingredients to use in our meal plans and I hadn’t cooked with chestnuts before. Surprisingly, neither had Mr Monkey (they aren’t that popular in Australia). So we decided to get some that week and see what we could come up with.
I found a recipe for Penne with Mixed Mushrooms and Chestnuts but decided to substitute the mushrooms for chicken. Mr Monkey researched the best way to roast the chestnuts and we got to it.
We used smoked chicken fillets as that’s what we could get at the time but Mr Monkey feels it would be better to use a whole smoked chicken and shred it finely. We added the Brussels sprouts as we had some leftover from another dish but feel free to add whatever vegetables you like – broccoli or an asian green would be great.
Mr Monkey didn’t want to add the parmesan but I thought it was delicious. But then again, I’m a cheese fanatic and think it goes with just about anything!
There is a strong smoked taste and it is very savoury with the chestnuts. It’s a “heavy” dish but we each ate a bowlful without feeling over-full. Definitely recommend it!
Smoked Chicken and Chestnut Pasta
- 1 whole smoked chicken, thinly shredded
- 150g chestnuts
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh thyme
- Oil of your choice
- 500g of your favourite pasta
- A handful frozen peas
- A handful Brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 250ml light cooking cream
- Parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Roast chestnuts - score a cross in the shell making sure it goes through at least the first layer, so they do not explode. Roast in small batches of 5-6 nuts for 12-20 min at 200oC. Peel, while roasting the next batch.
- Once peeled place all nuts back in the oven for a few minutes to warm up. Then place in blender while still warm, with thyme and blend while slowly adding oil, until smooth.
- Cook pasta until al dente, adding peas and Brussels sprouts for the last 2-3 min of cooking. Strain and set aside to keep warm.
- Using a wooden spoon stir chestnut puree, cooking cream, and shredded chicken together.
- Mix pasta and vegetables with chicken sauce and serve.
Recipe adjusted from here